Literature in Troubled Times - Hojoki
By Editorial Team Feb 15, 2022
A) McCullough’s introduction to “Medieval Recluse-Memoirists” in Classical Japanese Prose pp. 377-379
B) Kamo no Chomei’s text from the year 1212, Hojoki (An Account of My Heritage,) in McCullough’s Classical Japanese Prose pp. 379-392. Kamo no Chômei creates a hermitage that is both a refuge from the world and an expression of the world of sensitive aesthetics that he has left behind. It is also eerily resonant with our own particular moment.
- How does reading the Hojoki (translated by McCullough as An Account of My Hermitage) resonate with your own experiences of covid-19 and living through a pandemic?
- An early section of the text (section 2, p.380-387) describes a series of cascading natural and man-made disasters. If you were to create an updated 'Hojoki 2020' what would you include on your list?
- In response to personal career disappointments and societal deterioration, the narratorial voice of the text chooses voluntary isolation and simple living; how does this compare with your experiences of living in "safe at home"/"shelter in place"/"safer at home"/etc. conditions?
- From the point of view of your own experiences, what do you think of the narrator's lifestyle choices in the face of profound suffering and historic changes that he experiences personally and witnesses in his society?
- Did you feel a sense of beauty, pleasure, wisdom and clarity in the ending of the text (section 4, p.390-392) and can you envision such a resolution for our own pandemic moment? If not, why not? If so, how?
Two things to make sure you include in your work this week:
- You can and should definitely use “I” in your response. I want to hear what you think and feel!
- Quote from Hojoki to help substantiate and enrich your response. When doing this, be sure that you do not leave the quotations hanging alone to do all your analytical connections; examine and interpret them thoroughly.
Need help with this or similar assignment?
- Tell Us Your Requirements: Please provide us with the specifics of your paper so that we may do our best to personalize it. Select the discipline, word count, format, academic level, and other details on the order form.
- Connect with the Best Writer: Consult and collaborate with an expert and complete your paper on schedule.
- Monitor the progress: Control the work process by checking the completed parts of your document right away. You can easily submit your comments by chatting with your essay writer on our website.
- Download Your Paper: Get your paper written according to your specifications. It is important to note that you only pay for an essay when you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Please provide us your feedback about our collaboration.
Click on the prompt below to place an order
Eprowriters.net is an afilliate blog of Eprowriters.com, a custom essay writing service that has been providing academic support with great success for more than five years. We are constantly updating our objectives in order to improve the quality of service we deliver and increase client satisfaction. We’ve progressed to an original concept as a result of our success.