Week 06 Assignment - Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA)
By Editorial Team Last updated: Jan 15, 2022
This assignment provides students with the opportunity to identify a high-risk process in the practice setting and then conduct a failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA).
The FMEA is a systematic, proactive approach to assess risk of failure and harm in a high-risk process, and identify areas for process improvement.
- Title indicates a high-risk process for a FMEA.
- Describe in a single paragraph the high-risk process and rationale for selecting the process.
- Create a process map or flowchart to describe the steps in the high-risk process. Recommend a PowerPoint slide to depict the steps in the selected process.
- Use the FMEA Table as displayed in Figure 1 at the end of Week 5 lesson. A copy of the table is also available in an Excel Spreadsheet.
- Steps in the process
- Failure modes, failure causes, and failure effects
- Likelihood of Occurrence (1-10)
- Likelihood of Detection (1-10)
- Severity (1-10)
- Risk Profile Number (RPN)
- Actions to Reduce Occurrence of Failure
- Use the MS Excel table FMEA for High Risk Process to fill out your failure and effect analysis according to the IHI lesson.
- Attach your Excel table below and 'submit for grade'.
Refer to the Syllabus for point value of this assignment. Your Activity Completion checkbox will be marked when you submit to this dropbox, remember to check your gradebook for your grade.
Week 6: Required Readings
- Nash, Joshi, Ransom, & Ransom: Chapter 10.
- Chassin, M. R., & Loeb, J. M.. (2011, April). The ongoing quality improvement journey: Next stop, high reliability. Health Affairs, 30(4), 559-568. (Library Link)
- TJC. (2021). 2021 National Patient Safety Goals. The Joint Commission.
- Staines, A., Amalberti, R., Berwick, D.M., Braithwaite, J., Lachman, P., & Vincent, C. A.. (2020). Covid-19: Patient Safety and Quality Improvement skills to deploy during the surge. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, pp 1-3.
- Thull-Feedman, J., Mondoux, S., Stang, A., & Chartier, L.B. (2020). Going to the COVID-19 Gemba: Using observation and high reliability strategies to achieve safety in a time of crisis. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2020, 1-4.
(Open Access Creative Commons NC-4.0)
Content in weeks Lesson
- Federico, Frank. (2017). Bringing it all together: The journey to high reliability. Barnes Jewish Hospital; Washington University in St. Louis Physicians. (Video)
- Federico, Frank. (2021). Reliable Systems and Processes. IHI Open School. (Video)
- MedStar Health. (2017, Sept.). Mindfulness in a High Reliability Organization. MedStar Health. (Video)
- N.A. (2018, June). Understand the Science of Safety. Agency for Healthcare Researcha and Quality. (Video)
- N.A. (2021). Transforming Health Care into a High Reliability Industry. Joint Commission Center for Transforming Healthcare. (Video)
- Press Ganey Associates. (2018, Feb.). High Reliability: Improving the Safety, Quality and Experience of Care. Press Ganey Associates, LLC. (Video)
Need help with this paper?
Place Your Order Now by:
- Stating your requirements by filling out the order form and tell us what kind of assignment assistance you desire. Upload any files or instructions that may help us better serve you. Once you submit the form, you will receive a pricing quote for your order.
- Making Payment once you've received the price quote by proceeding to the payment area. Because we only accept secure online payments, you can process the payment using your PayPal account.
- Downloading the completed order. We will send you an email once your order has been confirmed. It contains the estimated date of delivery. However, your order may arrive ahead of schedule. So, keep a look out for the requested assignment solution in your account.
Click on the prompt below to place an order
Eprowriters.net is an afilliate blog of Eprowriters.com, a custom essay writing service that has been providing academic support with great success for more than five years. We are constantly updating our objectives in order to improve the quality of service we deliver and increase client satisfaction. We’ve progressed to an original concept as a result of our success.